Zhodishki. The Jesuit Collegium building of the 18th century
Landmark
Belarus, Grodno region, Smorgon district,Zhodishki agro-town, Pervomaiskaya str., 12A
Description
It is a two-storey building built in 1757-66 in the Baroque style. It was originally adapted as a Jesuit college. At the end of the 18th century, part of the collegium was converted into a palace, which in subsequent years belonged to the Pototsky, Laskaris, Miloshevsky families.
Then for a long time there was a regional psychiatric clinic here. The building is currently not in use.
Categories
Historical
Comments
Reviews to the Place
1Ольга Ерёменко
14.01.2025
The building of the Jesuit Collegium of the XVIII century in Zhodishki.
The 18th-century Baroque-style building of the Jesuit Collegium is located on the territory of the former Minkevich estate.
In the middle of the 17th century, the Komar family (a noble family of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, known in sources since the 15th century) owned Zhodishki. After the marriage of Barbara Komar with the Oshmyany sub-mayor Kazimir Minkevich, Zhodishki passed into the possession of the Minkevich family.
After Kazimir's death, at the request of their only son (who joined the Jesuit Order) Adam Minkevich - Barbara in 1708 transferred Zhodishki and five neighboring villages under the administration of the Catholic Jesuit Order. Monks founded the collegium, which was temporarily housed in wooden buildings. The construction of the new stone building began half a century later, and it was completed in 1770.
After the order was banned in the territory of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, when the order soon left these lands, this building was transformed into a palace. In different historical periods, the Pototsky, Laskaris families and others were the owners of the estate. It was Count T. Laskaris who converted the collegium into a manor house.
After the Second World War, it was planned to create a sanatorium here, but the plans were not implemented and the building became a psychiatric hospital.
The building is empty today. The hospital was closed just a couple of years ago.
